RFID VS NFC
RFID is a process in which items are identified using radion frequencies and NFC is a subset within the RFID technology familiy. RFID systems inclued a tag, a reader and an antenna.
NFC runs in a High-Frequency (13.56 MHz) and it's a secure form of data exchange. NFC can be a tag and a reader, which gives the abiliy to NFC devices communicate peer-to-peer.
Chips NXP NTAG (ISO 14443-A)
Chips NXP MIFARE (ISO 14443-A)
Chips NXP ICODE SLIX (ISO 15693, ISO 18000-3)
WHAT IS NFC?
NFC (Near-Field Communication) technology is the evolution of RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology.
RFID belongs to a group of technologies known as Automatic Identification and Data Capture (AIDC). It is a wireless system, which allows communication signals to be read via radio waves, which carry data inserted into tags or readers. RFID tags are smart labels that can store a variety of information, from serial numbers to a brief description and even pages of data.
NFC operates in much the same way. However, it is limited to communication within about ten centimeters. It is considered, by many users, to be more secure due to this distance limitation.
The storage capacity of NFC technology varies depending on the chip used. In addition to memory, chips have characteristics that differentiate them from each other.
The short distance at which NFC technology works may seem less advantageous to those who have no knowledge of how it works. However, this feature brings more advantages than disadvantages, and the main one is the security issue. For this way, there is no accidental connection. For example, the contactless payment cards, require such a minimal distance that usually a touch is given. This makes it more difficult to attempt theft.
HOW DOES THE TECHNOLOGY WORK?
NFC is a technology for communication between two devices over an average distance of up to about 10 cm. The communication can be one-way or two-way. And it is a communication exclusively between two devices.
The communication is made through radio frequency, and the data transmission rate varies, depending on the chip characteristics. The data to be transmitted is recorded in the chip. This recording can be done in several ways, but the most advisable would be to do it through an NFC reader connected to your computer.
NFC technology allows the same chip to be able to record several times, allowing the chips to be reused when applicable. However, these can also be locked and locked, allowing them to be used only once. NFC technology has this interesting characteristic, making its use versatile depending on the product in question.
In this communication process, there is an active part of the system, which is the reader, and a passive part, which is the tag where the information is programmed. However, communication can also occur through two active elements, as suggested in the image below.
The data transfer does not require any application, as all modern smartphones are equipped with an NFC reader. And it is a technology with internationally recognized and standardized parameters, which makes it compatible for both iPhone and Android.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES?
There are many advantages of using NFC technology, and at MobilityNow we believe in a mobile-first world where equipment, people and objects are securely connected.
NFC can be used in many types of industries, and thus has many advantages due to its versatile potential. Besides it has an intuitive use, as it requires only the proximity of a mobile phone.
The main advantages are:
- Time optimization - with just one mobile phone, at a touch's distance and in just one second.
- Agility of transferring data or making payments - you don't need to have all your documents with you, or memorize all the information you want to transmit, when you have an NFC device that can carry everything in one.
- Great application flexibility - depending on the type of NFC product you want to buy, the application options are very wide.
- Great security - not only at the digital level but also for you, such as no transmission of anything other than what you want (both data, payments, and even physical contact).
- Differentiation and Innovation - the use of NFC technology brings to your image and/or your company technological innovation and differentiation to other companies.
- Less Bureaucracy - ease of data transmission and greater organization in your industry (e.g., asset maintenance; identification of people and objects; marketing campaigns, access control, among others).
HOW SAFE IS ITS USE?
NFC technology among all its advantages, also has the issue of security. The fact that a very short distance (about 10 cm) is required for data transmission, leads to greater control. That is, unlike the QR codes, in which that information may be distributed by third parties, NFC enables the transmission to happen only when you want it and understand it.
This is a technology that is within everyone's reach, since it is incorporated into modern smartphones, which has made it economically attractive and still offers a higher quality than other data transmission tools. In addition, by following international security parameters, it is also able to offer a greater guarantee of confidence to the user.
Security levels vary according to the chips chosen, due to their cryptographic characteristics. There are chips which are used as security seals to guarantee the authenticity of a product, since it is possible to store in the chip's memory a block of interactions, which can be checked at any time by the user.
In addition, we can also talk about security at a personal level, since with the use of NFC technology, the control of your information is superior. You can only provide the information that the memory of the chip allows. In some cases, and depending on the way it is programmed, the chip can be deactivated, becoming inactive.
The fact that no physical contact is required from the user to transmit the data, gives this technology a high degree of security in terms of public health. For example, when paying with contactless cards, you don't need to touch anything. This is advantageous for the user and for the person to whom he wants to share his information.
WHAT CAN I APPLY NFC TECHNOLOGY TO?
NFC has countless applications. However, you can find below a list, with some examples of the most frequent uses of this technology:
- Facility access - electronic lock doors; counting entrances to buildings; giving guests access to facilities.
- Payments - contactless payment services with cards, wristbands, key rings.
- Materials control - stock counts; object identification; product monitoring and identification.
- Identification of products, people, or animals.
- Event organization and management - wristbands with entrance activation; access counts; pass records.
- Appliance activation - switching on/off lights, wi-fi, electronic settings.
- Address redirection - links to websites; social networks; pages of interest such as quizzes, extra information, menus, among others.
- Digital business cards - transmitting personal information and data.
- Product certification - guaranteeing product authenticity.
This is a technology that appeals to creativity, and the use of it can be limitless.
WHAT tYPES OF NFC PRODUCTS ARE THERE?
NFC has the possibility to be implemented in various products. The main products related to this technology are those available here at nfc.pt; nfcque.es; rfidnation.com.
Since this technology works by embedding an NFC chip, products can range from inlays, tags, wristbands, cards, key rings, medals, among others.
These products can also be manufactured in a wide variety of materials such as PVC, PET, PPS, ABS, wood, silicone, cork, paper, cardboard, fabrics, among others.
As complements, in this shop you can also find card printers and all the accessories for them. And of course, NFC readers for reading and programming chips.
The RFIDNation shop even has a section of eco-friendly category, where you will find the usual products with NFC technology but made with recyclable materials such as wood and cork. we can innovate and evolve, ensuring a smaller ecological footprint, contributing to environmental sustainability.
HOW DO I KNOW WHICH PRODUCTS ARE THE BEST SUITED TO WHAT I NEED?
When browsing through the RFIDNation shop, you can see that the products are divided into two main categories: NFC products and RFID products.
Depending on the usability and purpose of the product, this is your first choice.
Afterwards you must analyze what is important to guarantee the functionality of the system, whether the type of chip, the memory, the protocols, the security degrees, the format, the material, the design, etc.
The table below lists the different types of chips, and their characteristics:
INSERIR AQUI AS TABELAS!
HOW DO I KNOW WHICH CHIPS TO CHOOSE FOR EACH PRODUCT OR SITUATION?
NFC chips have several features that differentiate them, and depending on the product you want to buy, and the purpose you want to achieve, there are several points you should consider.
- Compatibility: It is important to consider not only the read compatibility of your chip but also the programming compatibility. That is, when choosing your chip, do not only consider if your mobile phone will be able to read its information, but also if your NFC reader will be able to program it (e.g., validate if the NTAG chip series (213, 215, 216) is the most suitable, or others (ICODE SLIX). It should also, consider the types of RFID protocols to ensure compatibility (ISO 14443, ISO 15693, ISO 15963, and ISO / IEC 18000).
- Memory: The memory of a chip is one of the main factors to consider in your choice process, as depending on the purpose of your chip, it must be able to store all the information you want to transfer. The added value is that the chips are reusable, and you can always change the information you have programmed in. Check our chip table to validate the memory fields.
- Encryption: Some chips have the possibility to be more secure than others. Encryption is a form of security and privacy that transforms information/data into algorithms that are difficult to reverse. This feature makes it possible, for example, for the contents of a certain chip to be invisible to the ordinary user who tries to read the chip with his smartphone, but for a manufacturer of the product to have the possibility of knowing the contents existing on that chip. It also allows chips to be programmed/coded to be read by only those readers programmed by the user.
- Data retention: This feature varies by chip. However, no chip offers a guarantee of eternal data retention. Although, the less durable ones can achieve 10 years of retention, and some can reach up to 200 years.
- Read/programming cycles: Like all technology products, chips have a life cycle. This average is the read count that a chip supports and varies across different chips. However, it is around 10,000 to 100,000 reads, depending on the type of chip.
- Access passwords: Some chips are even capable of being programmed with a password to access information. The reading of which is concluded only with the introduction of the same.
To know more, you may consult the chip table available above.
LARGE ORDER ACQUISITION AND CUSTOMIZATION GUIDE
Large orders of NFC products require you to contact the store for a quote. Products can be customized in a variety of ways and with vast options.
From which you can choose:
- Printing Type: thermal, retransfer, off-set, UV, or Laser (varies by product type and quantity ordered).
- Printing Quantity: Double-sided or Single-sided (varies according to product type and quantity ordered).
- Quantity of Products: the quantity greatly influences the final value, and the scale factor exists in this type of product.
- Data Programming: Fixed or Variable.
- Colors: Various options.
- Chip Numbering: possibility to number the chips and send an excel with the identifying elements (e.g.: UID with correspondence of the assigned sequential number).
- Material: PVC, ABS, PPS, Epoxy, fabric, paper, silicone, wood, cork, leather.
- Chip type: Consult to the chip differences table for more information.
To request a quote, just send email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or contact by phone (+351 210 199 900).
BUSINESS CARDS WITH NFC TECHNOLOGY FOR PERSONAL AND BUSINESS USE
Tap and Share business cards are made of wood and equipped with NFC technology. This allows you to get the most advanced technological product in business cards without neglecting the care for the environment. With this card, you can share your personal contacts, company contacts, social media profiles and more, with just one tap, and in just one second!
To use this card, you only need a modern smartphone, as it works on Android and iPhone.
Why buy it?
- Ideal for personal use as well as for small and large businesses.
- Eco-friendly and sustainable product.
- Allows for reuse.
- It is convenient, simple to use and all the information on one card.
- Options with and without loyalty.
- Can include a card control platform for card activation/deactivation.
- May include access to number of uses of the card.
- Innovative business presentation.
- Good to reuse with new employees.
- Maintenance to update data at any time with customer authorization.
This product is sold in three different options, and that translates into different prices. To request a quote, simply send email (email@example.com) or contact by phone (+351 210 199 900).
WHAT IF THE ITEM I ORDERED IS DEFECTIVE?
Please contact us immediately (within 30 days from the date of shipment) for a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA). Once the RMA has been issued, please return the item to us in its original packaging and if indeed it is found to be defective, we will refund the cost of the item(s) minus shipping costs to your preferred method of payment.
Just send email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or contact by phone (+351 210 199 900).
WHAT FORMS OF PAYMENT DO YOU ACCEPT?
We accept any type of credit card through a third-party payment provider (Stripe). We also accept Paypal and Bank Transfers.
HOW FAST IS SHIPPING?
The shipping speed will be based on the method you selected at checkout.
For the Standard method, for shipments to Portugal and Spain we expect up to 2 business days, and for the rest of European countries we expect between 2 and 5 business days. For specific shipping methods please contact us.
All our shipments are tracked.
WHAT IF I AM NOT SURE IF THE PRODUCT IS SUITABLE FOR MY NEEDS?
Please contact us for more information about the product.
Just send email (email@example.com) or contact by phone (+351 210 199 900).
We are happy to help!
WHAT IF THE PRODUCT I WANT TO ORDER IS OUT OF STOCK?
We try to keep our inventory up to date, however, if for some reason the product is out of stock, we can recommend an alternative product or we will inform you of the availability date.
I WOULD LIKE TO IMPLEMENT AN RFID SOLUTION IN MY COMPANY, WHERE DO I STARD?
We can help! MobilityNow, Lda., the parent company of RFIDNation.com, is an end-to-end solution provider for RFID, NFC and mobility technologies.
Contact us and tell us what you would like to implement.
We can create a solution for you: contact us!